Post-op question - Food related

jennie_jay
on 5/5/14 12:15 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 05/02/14

Good morning

I had RNY on Friday May 2... So I'm only 3 days post-op. I'm trying to follow the sample meal plan, it just seems easiest at this point. For breakfast it says: 1/3 cup protein shake then cream of wheat (with protein powder and skim milk) and yogurt. I got the protein shake in no problem but then I was only able to get 30ml of the cream of wheat down...and it was a bit of a struggle. There's no way I'm getting anymore into me. Is this bad? Should I keep trying to eat it all or wait now and sip on water then start on lunch? 

Thank you :)

HW: 321lbs (Nov 2013) SW: 313.5lbs CW: 237lbs and counting.... 

RNY: May 2, 2014 - Dr. Sohi @ HRRH

Karen M.
on 5/5/14 12:28 am - Mississauga, Canada

I wouldn't try to force it down, no. Chances are it would just come back up if you tried. Take each meal slowly and eat as much as you are comfortably able to take in (as per the menu plan) and then move to sipping the water until the next meal. Just my opinion, of course.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/5/14 1:05 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I found the first 3-4 weeks extremely difficult to get in anywhere near what my book wanted me too. Basically, I just focused on protein (shakes), water and vitamins. I was probably about 4-6 weeks before I was able to start eating more food. It is just so much food and a lot of people cannot get everything in to them that the book suggests. The book is always a guideline and may not be where you are right now. As long as you get the three important things in, protein, water and vitamins...everything else will fall into place as you move forward. I think I was at least two weeks before I could get anymore than 30-40g of protein in each day (via shakes). Try not to worry :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

NorthernStar
on 5/5/14 5:23 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Don't pu**** take it slowly. At 3 days post-op I was still on clear fluids. Focus on protein intake and getting your fluids/water in to stay hydrated. If you are too full for cream of wheat after your protein shake, just forget about it. Just do your best! It will get better.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

jennie_jay
on 5/5/14 6:42 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 05/02/14

Thank you all for your responses! 

HW: 321lbs (Nov 2013) SW: 313.5lbs CW: 237lbs and counting.... 

RNY: May 2, 2014 - Dr. Sohi @ HRRH

on 5/5/14 7:35 am - Canada

Hi im 14 days post op and I felt the same as you.  There is no way I could eat what the book calls for.  I concentrated on my protein and water and as time went by it got better.  I made my cream of wheat really liquidy that helped a bit.  I am on my last day of full fluids tomorrow I start pureed foods and im looking forward to it.  It does get better.  My first week I did not lose any weight at all but now im down 55lbs from opti till now.  Good luck just do what you can and you will be fine.  Remember the book is just a guide.   :-)   Val

Mary A.
on 5/12/14 5:12 am

I had my surgery what seems like a million years ago (5)...and I recall distinctly that what they give you are guideline and you are to work towards them.  I also remember fluid intake was the MOST important thing an I had to keep a journal of fluid intake, including jello etc...(at that time) the push for protein, wasn't the utmost because for the first couple of weeks your body is just trying to heal from the surgery.  If at ANY point you feel really uncomfortable or feel like you are going to vomit STOP...and wait...your pouch needs to get used to the changes...slow and steady gets the most progress.

(p.s. and don't totally freak if somewhere along your journey you actually vomit, many of us have whether it's from too much food, eating to quickly making a wrong food choice or something else. 

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics