Why did you go to Mexico?

MrsChubbs
on 1/15/18 6:59 pm

Curious as to why you went to Mexico? I'm choosing Mexico because I believe I should have control over my medical decisions, and I didn't like decisions being made on my behalf by the Richmond bariatric team without my direct involvement. If I'm unable to advocate for myself 100% of the time, it's not proper care, in my opinon.

MyBariatricLife
on 1/16/18 12:14 am

What sort of decisions did they make without your involvement?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MrsChubbs
on 1/16/18 12:03 pm

They discuss patients at bi-monthly team meetings and the patients aren't informed or involved. In my case, after the meeting, they presented me with a "compromise" they conceived on their own without my knowledge, and wouldn't accept any amendment suggested by me to make it an actual compromise. They wouldn't even bring my suggestion back to the team who made the original compromise. I'm not sure how good medicine can be when you remove the patient from the equation.

hollykim
on 1/17/18 2:37 pm, edited 1/17/18 6:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM Pacific Time, MrsChubbs wrote:

They discuss patients at bi-monthly team meetings and the patients aren't informed or involved. In my case, after the meeting, they presented me with a "compromise" they conceived on their own without my knowledge, and wouldn't accept any amendment suggested by me to make it an actual compromise. They wouldn't even bring my suggestion back to the team who made the original compromise. I'm not sure how good medicine can be when you remove the patient from the equation.

are they deciding whether you are a candidate for WLS?

Why not choose another surgeon group?

MyBariatricLife
on 1/27/18 12:39 pm

I agree with you. It is my body. Doctors are my advisors not my decision-makers. I fully believe in participatory medicine not patriarchal medicine.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Rjan2018
on 1/27/18 8:38 am
VSG on 05/12/18

I chose Mexico for my upcoming sleeve because I am confident in the quality of services available there. The comparison of prices in Mexico vs. the States is extreme. I have family that lives near the facility that I will receive treatment at and have been assured that it is first class.

MarinaGirl
on 3/12/18 4:58 pm

I had WLS in Mexico because I couldn't get it covered with my insurance. I had a great experience, stayed at a state-of-the-art hospital in Tijuana, had a highly skilled surgeon, and the price was much better than self-pay options in the United States.

shunt1960
on 3/21/18 4:37 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

I too chose Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) due to my insurance not covering bariatric surgery and I couldn't afford it in the states. I did months of research and checked out the doctors extensively. I work in a hospital so knew what I wanted and what to look for. I am thrilled with my decision and had no complications.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 322 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 504 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1098 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1672 views