Sometimes trouble swallowing?

Debbie P.
on 8/24/12 7:29 am - Kettering, OH
Just a quick question from a vet who is 6 1/2 years out.  I've noticed just recently that I have trouble swallowing certain foods.  They go down, but seem to *stick* -- not enough to block breathing or anything serious like that.  Just enough where after a bite or two, I have to stand and walk around for a minute. 

The items I've noticed it most on are an sausage egg mcmuffin from McD and steak.  It just seems odd to me because I'm so far out from surgery and only remember this feeling VERY early out (when I ate too dry of chicken). 

It could be unrelated to my DS -- but just wondered if anyone else has had this -- especially this far out??

Debbie ~

PatXYZ
on 8/24/12 1:55 pm
Why would swallowing food affect your breathing? Perhaps you're not chewing well enough.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Debbie P.
on 8/24/12 4:21 pm - Kettering, OH
Just meant that it isn't causing me to choke -- choking would block breathing.  :)

Debbie ~

Huneypie
on 8/25/12 3:20 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I used to have this pre-op with potato wedges. They used to get stuck and I couldn't breathe.  Post op it's not happened, guess I'm taking smaller bites and chewing better (OK I've not really touched wedges much).  Maybe you're eating too fast or having larger mouthfulls coz you're so far out and have got comfortable.  Or maybe they're just foods you're gonna have to avoid.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Debbie P.
on 8/25/12 7:12 am - Kettering, OH
It could be that I've gotten comfortable.  I will slow down and take smaller bites/chew better and see if that helps!  Thanks!  :)

Debbie ~

Sandra C.
on 8/25/12 8:38 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 6 1/2 yrs out, may not be D.S. related. Bring this up to your PCP. A barium swallow radiology test can be helpful. Dont assume its D.S. related. We do always look first to the D.S. for blame. Other issues should be looked into. I hope its nothing more than increasing hydration during this hot summer. Keep us posted. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Debbie P.
on 8/25/12 5:13 pm - Kettering, OH
Thanks Sandra.  That's a very good point -- that it might not be DS related.  I think we are tempted to think anything that is "off" or different -- it must be DS related, but at 6 1/2 years out -- good chance it's not.  I will talk with my doctor if slowing down, chewing better, and hydrating more doesn't solve things.

Thanks again!

Debbie ~

* Gail R *
on 8/26/12 9:15 am - SF Bay Area, CA
My mother had this problem as a part of aging. (sorry not implying anything) Her throat muscle coordination, which is reflexive, was out of sync. She had to take very small bites and often swallow with a sip of drink.  She did not have the DS

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Debbie P.
on 8/26/12 11:06 am - Kettering, OH
That's interesting.  I am getting older (46 now).  Maybe I should reboot myself (since things are out of sync).  haha  But seriously -- I am going to ask the doc if I can't get it under control.  It is annoying at this point.

Debbie ~

its-killen-me
on 8/26/12 3:58 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
Debbie I urge you to go to get checked at your doctor right away. Not to scare you but this happened to my mother and she was so happy because it was causing her to loose weight that she put off going to the doctor.  We lost her to esophogus cancer/stomach cancer a year and a half later.   (long battle)   Please go immediately  you just never know.
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views