low CARB now ... REGAIN later???

a_new_mii
on 7/25/11 5:03 am - AZ
 I've read so many posts about going as low carb as possible to lose quickly.  I've been following this advise.  A question arose in my head about past low carb dieting.  
In the past I've always been able to lose pretty quickly on a low carb plan, however, as soon as I add carbs to my diet again, I have always regained it twice as fast.  Does the change in our anatomy change that cycle?  I worry about trying to remain extreme low carb FOREVER!  
I see many DSers posting that they can eat ANYTHING (after the initial WL phase) and still not gain.  Is this typical, As long as I get in the requisite 100+ grams of protein a day?
Any insight will be appreciated! 
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

teachmid
on 7/25/11 5:13 am - OKC, OK
The malabsorption part of the DS will help to maintain the weight where we can get into trouble later is eating simple carbs/sugars which are all absorbed.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

PattyL
on 7/25/11 8:04 am
 The folks who can eat whatever they please forever are a distinct minority.  MOST of us old timers have to be careful and that means pretty low carb forever.  Yes, you can have your treats and vacations from doing the right thing.  But most of the time, you have to toe the line.

Do as low carb as you can tolerate till you get to goal.  Don't even worry about slowing the loss.... Take all the lbs you can get while it's easy.  AFTER you reach goal, find out what you can eat without gaining.  Just lose the weight.

Most of those people posting how they can eat anything are really still in the honeymoon phase and it's just a matter of time until it's over.
MajorMom
on 7/25/11 8:19 am - VA
**Like**

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 7/25/11 9:03 am
I am 11+ years post-op and I am conscious of my simple carb intake.  I generally avoid sweets (fortunately for me I don't have much of a sweet tooth, haven't for years).  I do limit my simple carbs.  But I eat plenty,  I mean plenty,  of complex carbs.    I eat simple carbs, just not frequently and not in quantity.  But for example this morning I had a bagel for breakfast (and eggs),  that's plenty of simple carbs...but I don't do that every day.  

And yes,  the "I can eat everything and still lose weight" phase is temporary.

beemerbeeper
on 7/25/11 2:02 pm - AL
*****LIKE*****

yorkieGal
on 7/25/11 8:37 am - Clermont, FL
WTG Patty - that's great advice.
I'm 3.5 ys out and now have to be real careful with simple carbs on a day to day basis. I agree, keep the carbs way low while you can till you get your weight down to goal and then experiment with how many carbs you can get away with without regaining too quickly.

There is that short honeymoon period where you can eat what you want without consequences but it doesnt last and may set you up for bad habits in the future. Try and make sure you get some regular exercise and drink all your water, take your supplements and keep simple "silly" carbs to a minimum, you'll do fab!!

Hugs, Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Kayla B.
on 7/25/11 9:35 am - Austin, TX
It's easiest to lose in the first 12-18 months.  Take advantage of it.

But, as Patty said, you very well might need to do some level of low carbing forever.

Gone are the days of a bowl of oatmeal, toast, and juice for breakfast with pasta for lunch and something served on a bed of rice for dinner.

I can't eat *anything*.  I gain eating carbs...even healthy ones (whole grain, fruit, etc).  But I made it to goal and even with a regain from my lowest of about 15-20 lbs, I am still at a healthy weight for my frame.  I find the high protein, high fat, lowish carb lifestyle pretty satisfying though.  I eat as many nonstarchy veggies as I want, as much protein as I want, and as much fat as I want (as long as it doesn't upset my stomach).
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Elizabeth N.
on 7/25/11 12:29 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Look at those people and see how far out they are. Remember that what is true in year one, two, three......might not be true in year five or ten.

No, you cannot eat whatever you want as long as you get 100 grams of protein per day. You need to eat for nutrition. There's more to it than protein.

If you fall prey to the "eat whatever" fallacy, I predict you will have poop and gas and stink problems from here to eternity, that your nutritional status will sink and that you might or might not see an effect on your weight.

There's a LOT more to this than the numbers on the scale.

Kathleen F.
on 7/25/11 12:51 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views