Ulcer-underweight revision schedule- Need advice

DarlaP
on 5/25/14 12:58 pm

Hello all, It has been a long time since I have been on the forum but I could use the advice. I had RNY 2/2007 and my surgery was very successful.  A little backgroung information for you. I weighed 310 lbs on surgery day and reached my goal of 160 lbs in about 18 months. Im 6ft tall (female) , so 160 lbs was a good healthy weight for me.

Fast forward to 2-2014, I was rushed to the ER in the middle of the night with severe belly pain. The ER doc told me I had noro virus and to go home that I would feel better once it ran its course. Well, I have never gotten better. I started losing weight and losing it really fast. After no less than 20 dr visits (I was stupid and went to my family doc and should have went to my bypass doctor) I was finally sent for a ct scan of my belly. I have a huge gastrojejunal ulcer with an obstruction as well as a leak into my bypassed stomach.  I was hospitalized on Thursday and PICC line implanted.  I am now home on a IV with 2800 caleries of TPN being pumped into me as I write this. I was down to 126 lbs and couldnt stand up without about fainting. I was doing everything I was told to do by my surgeon to gain weight and strength so I can have surgery to fix this problem. I have surgery scheduled for 6-2, and now I dont know what to do. He told me he could fix the leak, remove the ulcer and re-do the RnY, but no matter what he does, I will have a gastric feeding tube for 6 to 8 weeks. I dont care about any of that and agree this is the best thing for ME, however, my family is pressurig me to just have everything undone. I have been successful for 7 yrs, got the weight off, kept it off until this hiccup. I dont want to do anything to reverse the surgery, because I was successful.  (I know I have to fix whats going on and to gain weight to get back healthy, just not obese again.

You guys give excellent advice and I would be very greatful to see what, if any you have for me.

Thanks for your help,

Darla

RNY Surgery 2-14-07 ~Hight-6.0', HW:310, GW:160, CW:157

Revision 7/7/14 to repair gastric leak and removal of several large ulcers

On TPN for 8 wks prior revision -Gastric feeding tube post revision until.....???

Ladytazz
on 5/26/14 12:56 am

Is anyone in your family a doctor?  Have a medical degree?  No, I didn't think so.  Listen to your doctor, and your own common sense.  And no, just because you have kept your weight off for 7 years doesn't mean that magically you will never be obese again.  WLS didn't cure you, it just gave you a way to eat in the way you needed to in order to lose and keep off the weight.  I have known quite a few people who had medically necessary reversals and they all gained back all or most of their weight.  But they had no choice, their health was on the line.  If your surgeon told you that you needed a reversal to save your life then I would agree.  It is better to be fat and alive then thin and dead.  But it sounds like this is something that can be fixed.  If you have a good surgeon and you trust him then you will be fine.

As far as the feeding tube, it does sound depressing to have to have it for 6 to 8 weeks but look at it this way.  That is only 6 to 8 weeks out of your whole life.  Hopefully, when it's all said and done, you will be healthy again and free of the need for a feeding tube or any other medical intervention.  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and let us know how you are doing.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Gwen M.
on 5/26/14 4:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well said!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/14 1:27 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ladytazz said it perfectly.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

DarlaP
on 5/26/14 9:52 am

Thank you for your responses.  I trust my surgeon and will leave it in his and gods hands to fix me up. Will be so glad to be back on the mend again And not tied to an IV pole 24/7. Darla

Most Active