how to start over?

chatterbox69
on 5/9/12 7:09 pm - N Muskegon, MI
I am crying out in deperation...I need help and dont know where to turn.  How do I start over 6 years post roux n y Gastric Bypass.  I dont feel the weight ever came off and now I have gained like 30 pounds of it back and weight is higheer then when I had the surgery.  I just dont know what to do anymore.  Please help me if I am worth helping.  Thanks.
Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/9/12 8:34 pm - Burleson, TX

Ok girl..first off..breathe...I totally validate your feeling of being desperate, but this IS a do-able situation-I promise..

Will it be EASY?....probably not

Will it be worth the effort?....most likely so

Are YOU worth the effort?....ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY YES

I feel like one of those "8 balls" that you shake and ask a question to..you're probably not old enough to remember those...

I'm a bit confused. You said "I gained like 30 lbs/and wt is higher than when I had surgery"..I would take that to mean your total wt LOSS from your RNY was 30 lbs..I'm guessing that's a typo..if not..ok-we will still work from there..

Give us an example a typical day for you, and we can work from there. I find it much more "productive" to REPLACE 1-2 poor "habits" at a time, than it is to try to do a complete overhaul, all at once. That "black and white" thinking is what DIETED me up to 340 lbs in the first place..

I am 10 yrs post RNY. At one point, in my roller coaster journey, I had gained 70 lbs...It doesn't come back off overnight, and it DOES take LIFESTYLE CHANGES that have to become SECOND NATURE, and part of your DAILY life-that is MY opinion, and what works for ME. I am 54 yrs old, and 200% HEALTHIER than I was 10 yrs ago. My physician is 37 yrs old and is jealous that MY blood "numbers" are so much better than HIS..I have completed two half-marathons (I didn't WIN, of course-but I FINISHED-and I wasn't even last!)..I don't say this to brag-I SHARE it to say ANYONE can turn their thinking/life/health around, if they do not have some underlying illness stopping them-besides the obesity/eating disorders..

If possible, check back with your surgeon, to be sure there is no "mechanical problem". I know you are embarrassed about the wt gain-but do it anyway. You won't be the first-or last-the dr sees with this situation..If your guts are in workable shape--and changes are they are fine--let's start working on getting your BODY back where your HEART is!

It took alot of COURAGE to post what you did-KUDOS!

I look forward to seeing an update from you..

Gina AKA Nurse Diva

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

bryant_w
on 5/9/12 8:43 pm - NY
Have you spoken with your doctor?  I quess I don't seem to understand that you're 6 years post opt and you have only loss 30 pounds over all and now those those 30 pounds have made you heavier?

I had the Roux Y 12 years ago this coming July and I took off 155 pounds in a year and just over the past 3 years I had regained a total of 50 pounds as of Nov. 2011 and since Jan. 2012 I have been able to get off 30 pounds with only 20 to 25 more to go with getting back to basic, detoxing my system to stop my intake of sugar which just this week I've notices that I am once again eatting candy so I will detox again over the weekend by doing the 5 day pouch test and staying on day seven at 1200 calc and 100 to 140 proteins and a 30 to 45 minute work out 6 days a week to get the final 25 pounds off which could take me another 4 to 5 months.  So, I am retraining myself to eat right once again. 

So, how are you eatting?  Are you working out daily?
chatterbox69
on 5/9/12 10:14 pm - N Muskegon, MI
let me rep[hrase I lost 85 originally and then I started to gain it back and now I am up to 30 pounds ove my beginning weight.  Does that make more sense.  Itseems like when I start drinking more wate I gain more water weight.  I have alot of edema in my legs now, lots of lower back pain, and just feel like crap all the time.  Thank you for the help and words ofencouragement.  I will continue to try and I will post my rsults here.

Diva Darlene

MyLady Heidi
on 5/9/12 11:16 pm
Sorry you are with us all who are too far out to be in that happy I can eat anything phase and still lose weight.  Now its real diet and exercise.  I know personally its not fun or easy but doable and if I can give up the simple carbs and eat healthy so can you.  You have to purge everything and I mean everything processed or a simple carb out of your diet.  Once you do you will feel better and you will begin to lose weight, will it take a long time, yes it sure will.  How bad do you want it?  Is your goal realistic for what you are willing to sacrifice.  For me personally I eat around 800-900 calories a day to lose the ten pounds I regained, I am about half way there.  I was so bloated and miserable all from the processed protein bars I loved.  I added in some exercise bike and walking.  My boyfriend has lost from 288 down to 262 in the month we have been doing this, but thats with hard exercise for 45 minutes everyday, something I am unable to do.  Diet and exercise work, you just have to be totally dedicated and keep it up.

Good Luck.
Dragonryder2
on 5/10/12 12:01 am - NM
I think you can change what/how much you have been eating right now.  You can also start a very mild excersize program, BUT  what I really think you need to do is head over to the doc for a complete lab workup and physical.

If your system is out of balance you need to fix that first.  If you don't like your old doc go to a new one and explain everything.  If you have it get a copy of your records for the new doc.

With the RNY as with any of the weight loss surgeries first you must make some very committed LIFESTYLE/LIFETIME changes.

I won't say it is all in your head, but alot of it really is in your head.

Best wishes and YES you are worth it.
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/12 12:54 am - WA
My thoughts are different than the rest. This board is full of people who gained a significant amount of weight back after a RNY and have the revision. I assume that if you were able to stick to a diet you would have done it already. But like I said, you are not alone, if you can diet and exersise your way back then that is best. If not then join alot of folks who are getting a revison and a second chance to learn from the mistakes that they and you have made. It is true that with no Mechanical failures of your previous surgery you may have a hard time finding a surgeon to do it but they are out there somewhere.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/12/12 11:12 am - Bandera, TX
I too have seen in the years that I have worked with a lot of patients.  Some can get back on track by doing an honest inventory of what they are eating and drinking, going back to basics, and exercising.  There are many more whether as a surgical failure or not, that have had to look seriously at revision.  There are so many options, you just have to look long and hard at what is the best option for you.  Don't beat yourself up, as we all have struggles or we would never have become obese.  Make a committment to yourself to do whatever it takes to be successful and NEVER give up!!
Stefanie Bailey RN BSN CNOR RNFA
Regional Managing Partner

Lapband 12/19/02
240/145

Granny_Rue
on 5/12/12 11:23 am - LINCOLN, NE
 I know I can't help you with  losing weight.  I'm a newbie here and still  way pre my WLS operation.  BUT, you are worth helping.  Remember that.  You are very worth it.

Best wishes and good luck.  Let us know what you are doing and let us encourage and support you.  You are a special person and we care.

Amy (AKA Granny Rue)

Most Active