5 Year Update (a little late!)

Debbie P.
on 6/2/11 2:57 am - Kettering, OH
Hi Everyone:

I don't post often any more, but I do come back and read periodically! 

As of May 15, I was 5 years out from my DS.  Wow.  That time went by quickly.

I needed to lose 140 lbs. to get to my goal.  The most I lost was 91 lbs and have gained back about 15 now.  That leaves me with a net loss of 76 lbs.  No, not what I had hoped, but for a carbaholic like myself -- I think 76 lbs gone forever is pretty darn good!  I also am no longer diabetic, which is HUGE too.  My cholesterol is also normal (to a bit below normal) when it was 240.

My labs are not what I hoped, but working on those too.  My biggest issues are iron (still) and vitamin D.  I'm due for current labs and will get them in the next few weeks.

One thing that is not what I expected is my stomach size.  I remember (and have pics) of me weighing what I do now (prior to becoming so heavy over the years) and my stomach is HUGE compared to back then.  I seriously look preggo.  :(  That is a bummer.  I still have to wear 1X or 2X tops, but M to L bottoms.  Weird, eh?  I did have a very large hernia that was repaired and I never really saw a difference as to my stomach size after that.  Wish I knew why I am carrying so much weight in my tummy area.  It is frustrating and discouraging. 

That's about it for me.

Debbie ~

Victorious_one
on 6/2/11 4:41 am - South Central, PA

Hey, Debbie.  Congratulations on your weight loss--and having no more diabetes and great cholesterol!  These are huge benefits for sure. 

Are you considering plastics for your tummy?  Is it sagging skin, or just a pooch?  I know my tummy is the biggest thing on me now.  I think if I could get rid of it, I would lose at least 10 lbs.  I feel like my tummy is the only thing keeping me away from my illusive goal (which is only 2-5 lbs away depending on the day).

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Debbie P.
on 6/2/11 1:00 pm - Kettering, OH
I was never going to do plastics and this weight is high up (definitely not sagging skin or a pooch -- although I have that too!!).  I carry a lot of weight right under my breasts to my waist line (which, honestly I don't have a waist at all).  I guess I am what is considered "apple shaped." 

Originally my surgeon said for me not to consider plastics until I am much closer to goal and since I never got close to goal -- it really never crossed my mind.  After have an open DS and then another open hernia repair (plus a C-section 18 years ago), I was just not up for another surgery.

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/2/11 4:47 am - Sedona, AZ
just some thoughts-
people here have mentioned you still have the DS as a tool if you decide to lose more weight and forego the carbs.

I think age does that with carrying weight in your stomach but it can be reversed with exercise and core workouts and ab exercises but it takes time and persistence.  . .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Debbie P.
on 6/2/11 1:05 pm - Kettering, OH
This is VERY true.  I have at times tried to get my carbs way down -- and then I end up binge eating (yes, I still can do this).  So -- I just sort of gave up on that and just make sure I get my protein in first (which I do) ... but that leaves me (at 5 years out) A LOT of room for carbs.  I also never really have adverse affects from the carbs (no gas or anything).  Eating high fat will, however, give me belly aches and many visits to the bathroom .... I still try to eat high fat -- but it is difficult for me as I certainly do not enjoy the cramping and bathroom runs.

I think my best bet would be to get on a good exercise program.  My daughter is nearly 16 and we just got bikes and are going to start biking.  Doing ab exercises is extremely hard for me.  It is like I have ZERO muscle there now and it sort of hurts (perhaps from the mesh that was inserted to repair the hernia??).  I actually try to avoid ab exercises or heavy lifting because it is uncomfortable.  I should probably mention it to my surgeon.  It isn't a horrible pain -- just uncomfortable is the best way to put it.  But maybe it is supposed to feel that way?  No clue.

BBoop
on 6/2/11 11:10 am
Hey girl, I remember you.  I just got resleeved...I only lost 114 and stil needed to lose 100 lbs...I may or may not reach that goal but I believe I'm gonna lose it...if I can remember to eat.

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you are pleased with you weight.

Betty
Debbie P.
on 6/2/11 1:08 pm - Kettering, OH
Thanks Betty.  I have thought about having some sort of revision (be it resleeved or my common channel shortened) ... but my surgeon didn't seem to think that would help much and might cause more harm than good with my labs.  He definitely discouraged it because I brought it up 2 years ago when I was about to have my hernia repaired.  Many times, I wished I had done it. 

While I am happy that I have kept 76 lbs. off -- when I see myself in pictures, I still see the obese girl (which I am still considered morbidly obese) and the blame game kicks in too.  I know my eating habits are what got me to this point and what continues to keep me from reaching my weight loss goal.  So I do try to focus on the positives ....

I hope you reach your goal with the resleeve!!!  Best of luck.

Deb ~

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views