Do I qualify?

GabyStP0126
on 10/16/14 2:42 pm - Edmonton, Canada

Hi so I am 20 years old weighing in at about 215 pounds and im 5"5. I really want to get the gastric sleeve done but im so scared that I won't qualify. My BMI is just above 35 and I have no medical conditions. I want to get this procedure done in Mexico as i can be a lengthy process getting it in Canada with the universal Health Care system.

So i was just wondering if anyone else has had this procedure done with a lower BMI?

sphaque
on 11/4/14 3:38 am - Canada

Not sure about how long the process is where you are but I've heard in Ontario it can be as quick as 6 months from referral to surgery. I know people who've gone longer, like a year or a bit more. But I think it's worth the wait in terms of accepting the lifetime of repercussions from the surgery. How safe is this in Mexico? 

S

Katiebear291
on 11/5/14 4:09 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I know in Ontario you wouldn't qualify - I am 11 months post op, 1 inch taller than you and still not even down to your weight after 100 lbs almost of weight loss. 
You are so young you need to keep trying on your own.
I know it may seem impossible and hard but surgery doesn't make it any easier to make those lifestyle changes.  My husband did all his weight loss without surgery  - 200lbs - in one year just with lifestyle change and you can do it too. 
Just need patience with results.  only weigh yourself once a month.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Y D.
on 1/6/15 8:58 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Check out the Lightweights forum (BMIs 35-40) and also the Ontario forum :)

I have a BMI of 40, and I'll be having my VSG with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana, MX in less than two weeks! I have insurance here in the states, but the process through my insurance takes about 9 months to a year which for various reasons I cannot do.

Definitely explore your options!

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 470 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2220 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4115 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6672 views