10 Months PO and still dont see it...

tSqrD3
on 12/13/12 10:48 pm - PA
VSG on 02/27/12

Clearly there is something going on in my head b/c I have lost over 150 lbs since my weight loss journey began, and I still see the same old me. I wear smaller sizes, and people tell me how great I look all the time, but I still see the same person. So I ask, how long did it take for you all to see the "new" you? 

Im trying...   

Sassyflamingo
on 12/13/12 11:02 pm
RNY on 06/14/12

I feel smaller but when I look in the mirror, I don't really look smaller to myself.

I play the "am i that big" game with my girlfriend all the time when we are out and about.

It takes awhile for the head to catch up!

lizpete
on 12/13/12 11:06 pm - Marlboro, MA

I agree.  for me it is still a day to day thing.  Some days I see the change and others I do not.

Dee.spunk
on 12/13/12 11:20 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'm like the poster above. Some days I see it. Others I dont. I'll put something on and think, Man, I look big. Im not. It just takes a while. I usually have days like that the week before my period when I'm bloated.

Give it time. Look how far you've come! You've done an amazing job! Take side by side pics. That helped me see the difference on those days when I couldnt see it in the mirror.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

bvom
on 12/13/12 11:35 pm - CT

It takes a long, long time.  I am 4+ yrs post op & down over 300 lbs.  Most days, I still feel like I used to.  There are so many times I catch my reflection in the glass at a mall or something and wonder who that person is staring back at me.

It happens.

Every once in a while, I'll have a good period where I'll admit "Wow.  I've come a long way!  I DO look better than I used to."  LIVE for those moments.  Realize "hey, I used to not fit in that chair!" or "I used to have to turn sideways to fit between x & y."  Let those moments be your clues that you've changed.

Highest: 601 lbs / Surgery: 573 lbs / Lowest: 242 / Regained 57 lbs (Currently -51!)
              Panniculectomy 11/09  *  Brachioplasty & Inner Thigh Lift 12/10

CindyKae64
on 12/14/12 12:36 am
RNY on 05/22/12

In the beginning I was the same way, but I see it now. Do you take monthly pictures? This is something my family and I do, each month on the same date or as close as possible someone in my family takes pics of me front, back, and both side views, I then email them to my daughter and I put them into a folder on my computer, but I don't really look at them and compare. Then every now and then my daughter will have a side by side comparison picture printed up, but we have only done one so far and that was at 4 months out and I was really deep into the "I can't see it mode". Well let me tell you when she handed me the side by side comparison picture, I literally cried because I could finally see it, now at almost 7 months out I can look in the mirror and see the emerging smaller me. Do I always see the smaller me, no I still have days where I feel like nothing has changed, but I take another look and remind myself how far I have come and that little pep talk I give to myself usually helps me. I am also learning to say "thank you" when people compliment me rather than making "fat" comments about myself or just dismissing the compliment by saying "I still have a long way to go"...this is definitely a journey and a learning experience in all aspects of my life!

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

Lisa T.
on 12/14/12 2:37 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

Posting my first post op side-by-side comparison really helped my head catch up to my body.  It was enlightening.  Before I never saw myself as being that heavy and now I can't believe I was ever that person.  It's like my body finally matches the image I had of myself in my head.  If I look this good and feel this great now, I can't imagine what I'll look and feel like when I hit my goal.  I have a friend who has maintained significant WL and she says that even now, she still sees her heavier self when she looks in the mirror.  This topic is fascinating. 

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

thynnlynn
on 12/14/12 2:56 am - MI

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!!!

Not only will I be taking pictures, I have decided to dedicate a spare laundry basket to deposit my weekly weight by way of canned goods, water bottles, etc.  This will actually give me something to lift and know it is that much less that I am carrying around on me every day now.  I have a little over 100# to lose.  I cannot lift 100#, yet have it hanging all over my frame.  I am hoping with it gone, to be able to feel the difference, the shortness of breath and the effort of doing even small tasks.  I have enough other health issues that are not weight-related and will be in a better position to deal with them at my goal weight.  They actually figured my goal at 120#, but I think that is too thin.  I was 140# in high school and was good with that.   I would be happy with a size 10/12.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Sherry T.
on 12/14/12 6:11 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I have those thoughts when someone takes a picture of me....then I look at the pre-op pictures and think...was I really that big? Yep I was and still got another 100 pounds to go! We'll get there!
DianeCameron
on 12/14/12 6:20 am - OH

I 155 pounds down since my surgery at the end of March and I have gone from a size 32 pants to a 14 sometimes even a 12 and I still see the "fat girl" in the mirror! People cannot get over how incredible I look and so on, but I just dont see it! I have been told that it takes years for some and for others they just get it right away! My best advise is to keep taking pictures and comparing the newest to your oldest and it helps! Thats how I keep my head held high and now it really is coming off.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 312 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 90 views