Starting Pre-op diet in the morning

Mags W.
on 4/13/11 1:01 pm
I've been doing the shakes 3 times a week for two weeks trying to get used to the taste, but I'm still scared I'm going to have trouble stomaching them or otherwise screw up.  My friend already told me she cheated on hers and came out fine, but I don't want to do that.  I took Friday off in case I start going psycho, but I'm nervous about what tomorrow is going to be like.  I don't want to lash out at my family or co-workers. (though I think my family have gotten used to it)

I'm not sure I can do two weeks of this, but I know the end is worth it.  How did you stay on track?
Andrea H.
on 4/13/11 1:32 pm - Middletown, NJ
VSG on 04/08/13
 The first few days were rough, but then I got use to it.  Just remember it will be ALL worth it in the end!!  Good Luck!  

HW 300, SW (Realize Band) 268, Revision to VSG 264

Catapult
on 4/13/11 4:58 pm - Australia
I had my banding yesterday and survived the 2 weeks of shakes ok. My doctor and nut said I could have 2 cups of non-starchy vegies each day too. The salads saved me. I used lemon juice and cracked pepper as a dressing.
Kim H.
on 4/13/11 7:25 pm - Duluth, MN
I actually liked the liquid diet phase. My doctor was a little more lenient then apparently some are. We got Slim Fast, Muscle Milk, creamy tomato soup and other liquid is that when we added protein powder it bumped up the grams of protein. Another reason I like it is that (in my case) "meals" were 5 a day..and because it was ALL protein I NEVER got hungry. I had my surgery on 2/28/11, and I am going to see the doctor today because I am not feeling full, nor am I getting any "symptoms" of being full or having over-eaten (Let alone eaten at all at times). Sounds silly, I know,to WANT symptoms, but then I will know it is working for me. I am really frustrated!
My advice is DON'T cheat, remember your goal in choosing surgery was to regain your life..a few weeks of (supposed misery, will be worth it when your ultimate goal is reached. Good luck and God bless!

~Kim~

psychomom
on 4/13/11 9:37 pm - China Grove, NC
I did clear liquids for 2 wks before surgery . It is tough but you just have to do it !  I did not cheat and I really think you learn alot about your relationship with food during this time. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but it is worth it in the end for sure!  You will have good days and bad days and you probably will lash out at others as well. I kinda feels like PMS at times. That is in part due to the fact hormones are released from the fat you burn while loosing on your pre op diet.
You can do it !!!! We all have!!!! Hang in there:)

barbara314
on 4/13/11 10:26 pm
I did clear liquids for a week before surgery and two weeks after surgery, then two weeks of full liquids, so by that time, the protein shakes were like heaven.  What type of protein are you using because some are much better tasting than others.  Unjury makes a pretty good shake and you can order packets to try.   I know some have gotten samples of different protein powders online.  It's hard, but you have to keep your eye on the prize.

As for you going "psycho", you'll be in recovery mode for the next few days.  However, when I was gearing up for my liquid phase, I told my boyfriend to just remember three words if I lash out... JUST WALK AWAY...

You're gonna do great.  And we'll all be here waiting for you.  Good luck!!!
~ Barbara

XScubaKid
on 4/13/11 11:45 pm
Yea, Mags, you are that much closer!! 

My doctor required 3 weeks of the liquid diet, so this is Day 9 for me.  I agree that the first few days were really hard, but it started getting much easier on Day 4.  For the first few days as I was going through the carb withdrawal, it wasn't so much that I was hungry, it was that I was very tired and generally irritated all the time. 

I was only doing the shakes for the first 3 days (for a total of 580 cal/day).  I ended up calling the doctor's office because I was feeling so exhausted and weak.  They suggested that I go ahead and take advantage of the clear chicken broth, SF Popsicles and Crystal Light and, push come to shove, a cup of very low carb vegetables. 

The biggest problem has been the mood swings as I started really understanding how twisted my relationship with food is.  It has been an eye-opening experience and I fully understand the references to 'head hunger' now.  I'm glad that I'm getting to start trying to cope with that now as opposed to starting that process while I'm trying to heal from the surgery.

I've also been journaling steadily because I was really shocked at all the random and (extremely) angry thoughts I've been having since this liquid phase started and I haven't had food to soothe myself with (I am sure my therapist will be like "duh!" when I share that with her this week).

The bottom line is that you will do great!  I suggest taking it minute by minute and staying hydrated (because I've found that makes the liquied diest seem much worse). 

Good luck~!

HW: 358 | SW: 314 | CW: 299 | GW: 195 
5/31 - First time under 300 in 14 yrs~!!

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  ~ Abraham Lincoln        
Most Active