Medicare to Cover Obesity "Behavior Therapy"

Batwingsman
on 10/1/11 4:13 am, edited 10/1/11 4:14 am - Garland, TX
 At first this sounds like good news, but I sure hope it doesn't signal the possibility that Medicare is going to start requiring that WLS candidates jump through a bunch of (failed) "behavior-modification" hoops before being eligible for surgery, like some private is. cos. presently do.       Very odd coincidence that Medicare also just released a study showing they could save $Bs if their obese recipients took part in diet programs to lose weight).   

http://www.mcknights.com/cms-to-cover-behavioral-therapy-for -obesity/article/211362/

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

AnneGG
on 10/1/11 4:53 am
I wonder if they are not looking to see what response to therapy could predict about post-op compliance.

And obviously therapy is a lot cheaper than surgery.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 10/1/11 5:02 am - OH
Well, if they just did a study that showed they could save money if obese recipients participate in a diet program, doesn't it make sense to fund a diet program?  I mean, of course Medicare wants to save money.  I want them to save money.

No, I don't think they should require recipients to do supervised diets before surgery or jump through any additional hoops.  But some people choose not to have WLS for various reasons.  I think it's great that Medicare will pay for a non-surgical option for those that choose not to have surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 10/1/11 2:00 pm
I don't have a problem with it but I think it will probably not be very successful longterm.  What are the statistics?  Only about 5% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise will keep that weight off for 5 years?  Something like that.  I don't see this being much better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active