Made the Decision for WLS!

MissKayNL
on 12/31/14 7:51 pm - Halifax, Canada

This is my first post on here, and I figured I'd post in the Newfoundland group, even though there doesn't seem to be much action going on in here!

I've made the decision to get the WLS after about 7 years of considering it.  I think now is the right time.  My GP has already been a supporter of this for me before, so I'm heading in to my GP on Friday to get my referral sent in!  I know it'll be a long wait from now, and I understand that, but I'm curious for anybody who is "in the system" what they can tell me about it!  I have a co-worker who had it done, but she was one of the first 15 people to have it done in NL so the wait time for her wasn't exactly the same as what it would be now!

Any help would be wonderful. :)

Krista

Referral Sent: March 2016

Bobbi_Pin
on 2/12/15 11:30 pm

Hi there MissKNL,

I just came from my doctors office and he is sending a referral for me to have the gastric sleeve done. Have you heard anything since having your referral sent? 

Just joined this forum as well. Would love to chat along the way seeing as we are both on the same journey :)

Reneeishere
on 2/15/15 7:16 am - Canada

Hi there, I also just seen my doc. I had a call last week saying I need a sleep study done before I see the surgeon. I am in nfld. would love to know if you have any idea about wait times? Any info would be great!

Bobbi_Pin
on 2/16/15 12:19 am

Hi Renee,

A friend of mine was 2 years from the time she got referred until she had her surgery. Hopefully everything works out and you get your referral. I'm on the west coast of NL and classified as morbidly obese. Two words I never wanted to use to describe myself but that is why I am here.  

Reneeishere
on 2/16/15 4:14 am - Canada

Hi Bobbi, 

so do it depend on your weight, health issues for the length of time you wait for the surgery? I have done a bit of research, I think there are two surgeons now? Not sure! A friend of mine had it done in Ontario, so it was a bit different! Is there a Facebook group of people that has had it done or waiting to have it done! Seems there are not many on here! :) 

Bobbi_Pin
on 2/16/15 4:41 am

I'm not sure if any of those factors contribute or subtract from the actual weight time. For some reason I believe it goes in order of referral. There are three surgeons now. I'm not sure of a Facebook group. It would be nice to have one because as you said, it's pretty slow here. So I take it you are on Facebook? Maybe we could connect there?

Reneeishere
on 2/16/15 6:41 am - Canada

Hi Bobbi,

i am on Facebook. Renee Gosse... Look me up... Would love to chat more with you! :) I don't have anyone else to chat with about any of these issues! Loads of questions that's forsure... When I find out things I can share with you! Didn't know an out the 3rd surgeon, they only do perform 2 surgerys a week? That's what I was reading somewhere, I could be wrong! 

princesslulu1971
on 3/2/15 6:49 am

at least a year before the actual assessment

princesslulu1971
on 3/2/15 6:47 am

my referal went in Feb 2014  in Aug I had the info webinar  at that time there was a 6+ month wait for the actual assessment to see if you are a suitable candidate or to see if you changed your mind after the info sesssion..  still waiting for the assesment  when I contacted they were still working on the summer intake  as they had over 400 do the many info sessions 

MissBluenose
on 3/27/15 2:03 am - Corner Brook, Canada

I am really new at this....from what I been reading to get this process started first you have to get a referral from your family doctor....thanks...

Most Active