OPTI and Work.. and.... EMOTIONS...TEMPTATION

amarettogal
on 4/13/12 12:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Hey everyone..

Thank you so so so so so much for all your wonderful ideas on how to do Opti at work.. Tomorrow I am going to get myself a Blender Cup @GNC...

Now... I'm scared about this horrible mean cranky person I am going to turn into.. and worried I will be tempted to eat... I am aloud the 2 cups of those listed green veggies.. but .. wanted not to have them to prepare for how I will be after surgery...

How you guys deal with emotions? and temptation?

The future has not been set there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Sunnydaz
on 4/13/12 1:15 pm
Don't deprive yourself of those veggies.  The cut back to Opti and the few things you are still allowed is plenty to prepare yourself for after surgery.  Plus after surgery you are not going to want food! lol  Or have crazy cravings.  My Centre doesn't allow those veggies (I would have loved a different texture), so be happy to have a few options.  You'll surprise yourself at how strong you are!  Best of Luck!!

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

stephanie2011
on 4/13/12 2:05 pm - toronto, Canada
I think I am going to get one of those blender cups as well.  I start Opti on the 24th. 

I know what you are saying  about becoming cranky.  I usually go straight to super ***** when I am hungry.  LOL..  As my husband jokes with me 'I would never make it on Survivor'.  I plan to eat the veggies as I think that it would be really  difficult to do it without anything to actually chew on.  Hopefully there are some great tips on  dealing with temptations.  Frankly I think  I will  have to start going to bed earlier to manage the night time snacking temptations.  Good luck!!
Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Jason W.
on 4/13/12 8:19 pm - Canada
So true... On Survivor I would have resorted to cannibalism.

I am going to eat my allowed veggies. I will need them with the stress at work.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

JJ_
on 4/13/12 4:52 pm
Take everything one day at a time.  Why should you turn into a horrible mean cranky person?  Is that truly inevitable?

My centre did not allow for eating up to 2 cups of veggies.  If it is on your list of allowable items, why would you deprive yourself?  You may find yourself full on the Optifast and have head hunger only.  Remind yourself that it is only for a short period of time.

Good luck,

Judy
Monica M.
on 4/13/12 8:36 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
have the veggies, have everything you can.

Emotions are difficult. Telling yourself that its normal might help. That you're not going crazy. I kind of isolated myself. Had lunch by myself, took my breaks alone, to decrease the temptation. I also told my coworkers what i was going through, so they'd know not to offer me stuff.

Best of luck. This may not be as bad as you think it is.

rmichelleb
on 4/13/12 10:34 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I am started Opti on Wed April 10, so this is day 4 and yesterday I was a complete emotional wreak. I too find it very hard with making meals for DH and 4 children. Today we are headed to the mall birthday shopping for my 9 yo daughter and I have no idea how to handle the food court and everyone else shoveling yummy looking and smelling food into them. I am going to look for one of those shakers too, maybe I'll do it while they are eating.
I have been eating the 2 cups of veggies at dinner time with s&p and balsamic vinegar. I really look forward to it and it gives me something to do/eat while the family is eating.
Yesterday I tried some broth off campbells veggie soup and strained the noodles (and good stuff) out of a cup a soup. I sort of feel like I cheated because the labels did say these soups had 1 gr of fat but I am hoping it was in the stuff I drained off. I also tried sf jello last night.
Saying all that, I didn't loose any weight yesterday, but had lost 2 and 2.5 (for a total of 4.5) the first 2 days. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I put a call into the dietician and am waiting for a call back which I figure will be Monday now.
When is your date?
amarettogal
on 4/13/12 10:41 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 05/01/12
Hey, hopefully it gets easier. How long as you on Opti for? Surgery is May 1 so I begin my Opti the 17th.

I have read other posts by people saying days 3-4 are the worst as we loose fat, which holds estrogen the release of that contributes to the roller coaster emotional ride...

I wish you all the best... Good Luck to us all.

The future has not been set there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

rmichelleb
on 4/13/12 10:52 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I think my emotions are going from teary to miserable. The kids just made themselves cheese  bagels this morning and the smell is driving me crazy!! Not to mention that my 18 mo keeps trying to force cheerios and fishies in my mouth!
I am on Opti for 2 wks.
Moselle
on 4/14/12 12:44 am - Athens, Canada
 For me the Opti-phase was more a mind over matter kind of thing. I went through Ottawa and we were only allowed broth and sugar free jello etc no veggies. I actually sat at the dinner table through Christmas dinner and drank my Opti-shake from a crystal goblet while enjoying the conversations. It made everyone else around the table feel worse than it did me! 

I have to agree with the others, eat whatever you are allowed. IMHO this journey isn't about depriving yourself - it's about learning to eat properly and make the best food choices possible.

While doing the Opti-shakes and working, I just made my lunch shake at home and put it in a thermos. Put the thermos in the fridge at work and actually had to take it out of the fridge for about 15 mins prior to drinking it because it was still a frozen slushie.

I wish you a successful journey. All the best.  Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Most Active
Recent Topics