Looking for a surgeon in the greater Boston area

cdonarumo
on 3/22/10 8:47 pm - chelsea, MA

I also went through Beth Israel in Boston and Dr. Schneider was my surgeon.  I highly recommend his surgical team. 

Cindy

Interested1
on 3/22/10 10:17 pm
Thanks, Cindy.  You guys are all so brave.  Congratulations to you.
Valerieb09
on 3/24/10 3:20 am - Seacoast, NH
I highly recommend my surgeon, Dr. David B. Lautz at the Brigham & Women's Hospital. He is considered one of the best in Boston. He has many patients from all over. He is 90 miles from me and they do have a local bariatric program here but I wanted the best. I had a lapband which was a nightmare and had a revision to the RNY June 2008 also done by him. Life is good now that I can eat and I have lost 110 lbs. so I look normal....lol.

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Interested1
on 3/25/10 3:04 am
Thanks so much!  Can you please tell me why the lap-band was a nightmare? That's where I'm leaning.

Thanks so much and good luck on your journey!
Valerieb09
on 3/25/10 9:04 am - Seacoast, NH
You have to learn "How to eat" with the lapband and most foods you thought you might be able to eat you can't eat as they get stuck and you end up sliming all over yourself.  Frankly the few people I know that have them in my neck of the woods wish they didn't have the lapband.  One girl is still 220 lbs. after four years...she can't have anymore fill as her stomach won't tolerate it.  She lost 60 lbs. but you know she is still MO.  Another started having issues after a couple of years but she can't get a revision as she battled breast cancer last year.
I suggest doing a lot of research on all the surgery types.  But with the lapband which gave me GERD after a 1 1/2 yearyou will have to work harder for the weight loss....way harder and maybe be unable to eat anything "normal".  I was living on ice cream, shakes, yogurt, and pudding. Also the last couple of years I seem to see on a regular basis people who are having problems...have to have it out and end up with nothing or a revision depending if their insurance will pay for another WLS.
I eat quite normally now with the RNY and you would never know I had WLS.  It's nice to be able to eat meat, have a salad, eat broccoli, etc. 
Good Luck with whatever you decide........

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY

Boston, Massachusetts

Interested1
on 3/26/10 2:52 am
Hi Valerie,

Thanks so much for all the information.  It really scared me, though.  I'm currently on track to have Dr. Sikora at Tufts so the Lap-Band and I guess I'm just hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones. Doing an RNY would be the fallback if the Lap-Band doesn't work.  As i said to another poster, I simply can't imagine having a RNY right now - I'd jump off the table as they were wheeling me in and run!

What's particularly disturbing is that I see you're in my area - I'm in Massachusetts - so the people you've spoken to have probably had their Lap-Bands done at the major centers in Boston.  Am I right?

Well, you've helped me so much, you don't have to give me any more of your time.  I did check out the recommended surgeon at MGH but he's leaving - AND the waiting time for a first appointment is October.  I didn't really check out Dr. Lautz.  Maybe I should . . .

Thanks again.

Pam (Interested1)
Valerieb09
on 3/26/10 10:47 am - Seacoast, NH
Hi Pam,
I wasn't trying to scare you but I won't sugarcoat my experience either.  I live in New Hampshire but chose to go to Boston to have Dr. Lautz do my surgery. He is considered one of the best of the best so that is why I chose to go to Boston. The people I know that had the lapband and had problems had their band done up here but some have also gone to other programs such as Boston. I don't think it matters where they got their band done.
I chose the lapband because it was the least invasive and hey they promote it like crazy on TV.  I went in to my consult with Dr. Lautz telling him what I wanted for a surgery.  It seemed like the "one" to do at the time (2006).
I should have considered the fact that my starting BMI was 55+ which put me at SMO.  This fact alone put me at a less than stellar candidate for this type of WLS.
I am not saying people can't have success with the lapband but I find they are far and few between.  I also have seen in the last couple of years a ton of people getting their bands removed for problems, issues what have you.  I think now there is far more data available on the success/failure rate of the band.
I am happy I had the revision to the  RNY and should have done it in the first place.  I am a cancer survivor so that played heavily in my decision to have the band. I have done so well with the RNY that I amaze myself sometimes. 
My weight loss has been very good and I am happy with the results. Best of all I can buy clothes off the rack in the Misses section, no more 24-26+ sizes for me.
I wouldn't be so quick to count on having the RNY if the lapband failed.  Most insurance companies now are putting a cap on their policies of one WLS no mater what.  Harvard paid for two for me but initially denied my revision. I think Dr. Lautz was able to show "medical necessity" because of GERD so I got my approval.
I suggest doing more research and attend some support group meetings, etc. in your area to hear and talk to some people with the lapband.
Dr. Lautz has a long wait too!  You have to attend his info seminar first then call his office for the consult appt.  But the beauty is you get your surgery date at your consult appt.  This allows you to plan for time off from work, get your preop appts. all done (they schedule those at the consult too) etc.
You'd be smart to consider him as he is just such a fantastic surgeon.........I have never ever heard anyone utter a negative thing about him...ever.  In his office...on this board....anywhere..anyhow...
Good Luck!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY

Boston, Massachusetts

hollyberries
on 3/24/10 9:40 am - Carver, MA
Diddo Dr. Lautz!  He did my Lapband and my revision to RNY just 7 weeks ago...took my gall bladder out too!  He is the best at what he does and I trust him with my life. 

I would suggest doing your homework about all your surgical options and then sit down with what ever surgeon you choose to discuss the best surgery for you.

Best of luck,
Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Interested1
on 3/26/10 2:47 am
Thanks, Cindy.  I'm leaning towwards the lap band with Dr. Shikora at Tufts, but I was scared by the last post - where the writer said she had a terrible time with the Lapband and had to have it removed.  She also said a lot of people she knows who had the lap band had to have it removed.  I mean, that is scary news.  But somehow I can't imagine doing a RNY right now - I think I'd leap olff the operating table and run out!

Well, more research to do.  I'll ask Dr. Shikora many things.

Thanks for your help.

Pam
rockysmom
on 3/26/10 1:42 pm - Dartmouth, MA
On March 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM Pacific Time, Interested1 wrote:
Thanks, Cindy.  I'm leaning towwards the lap band with Dr. Shikora at Tufts, but I was scared by the last post - where the writer said she had a terrible time with the Lapband and had to have it removed.  She also said a lot of people she knows who had the lap band had to have it removed.  I mean, that is scary news.  But somehow I can't imagine doing a RNY right now - I think I'd leap olff the operating table and run out!

Well, more research to do.  I'll ask Dr. Shikora many things.

Thanks for your help.

Pam
I had RNY with Dr. Lautz also -- no problems, - I look great, feel great - can eat anthing, but small portions (it's been 2 years) - no problem maintaining.  I chose RNY because I felt going back for fills would be too inconvenient.  I have since met an awful lot of people (support groups, and online and a friend) who have had terrible experiences with the lap band, - great difficulty keeping food down, slippage, band failure, and/or not losing the weight they expected.  I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of it, I believe some people do well with it, but do your research -- it seems like a LOT of people are revising to the RNY.  The RNY surgery for most people seems to be very easy to tolerate.  It was pretty easy for me.  I wish you the best in whatever you decide.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views