And now I remember why I gave up trying to find a psychiatrist in the first place...

Gwen M.
on 3/20/17 9:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Technically, legally at least, "Because refills of prescriptions for Schedule II substances are not allowed, it can be burdensome to both the practitioner and the patient if the substances are to be used on a long-term basis. To provide relief, in 2007, 21 C.F.R. 1306.12 was amended (at 72 FR 64921) to allow practitioners to write up to three prescriptions at once, to provide up to a 90-day supply, specifying on each the earliest date on which it may be filled." (This is from Wiki for convenience.)

My PCP insisted on every month to begin with but is now good with every 3. Thank goodness.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

heidikat72
on 3/20/17 9:44 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Ugh - I hear ya about the lack of psychiatrists and counselors who can deal with eating issues. Damn near impossible to find one who will work with you on emotional eating. Before surgery, I hunted and hunted for one, finally found one who said she did see patients with that issue but she was bloody awful. I had a similar issue as you when using the list of providers on my insurance's website - most were disconnected phone numbers. We want to do the right thing and work on our head issues, why is it so hard to find someone to work with us?

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

theAntiChick
on 3/20/17 9:49 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'm starting to realize how I lucked out with my therapist. I looked at about a dozen that were on my insurance's list, and weeded through them based on the information on their websites (those without websites I put on a secondary list that I never got to) and the first one I decided I really liked what she said about her treatment style and approach on her website, I got in with. She's been all kinds of awesome. (If anyone's in the Arlington TX area and looking, PM me and I'll share her contact info.) She's not a psychiatrist, so she can't do meds, but for therapy I really really like her.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Kristi T.
on 3/20/17 9:55 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I agree with theAntiChick, talking with your PCP about possibly combining the medication with BED therapy might calm her "squirreliness." I have been on a scheduled medication for the past 7 years. Not only do I have to combine it with therapy, I have to see the prescriber every 2 months along with providing a UA(so they know I am not selling it or abusing it) I won't even get into the insurance part of it! If the Psychiatrist does not work out, maybe offer a "contract" of sorts with your PCP to let her know how serious you are with compliance. I know it's a hassle and a worry, but it will work out one way or the other.

Gwen M.
on 3/20/17 10:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think the thing that annoys me the most about my PCP here is that she's been my PCP for over 15 years. She knows me. She knows how dedicated I am to my health. She knows that I don't abuse drugs because she's seen me through many kidney stones, among other things, and knows that I do not take meds unless I need them. She knows my struggles with weight and that I see a therapist (and have since before pre-op). She knows all the exercise I do and how committed I am. She's normally also good about listening to my research and working with me and what I want.

But recently, ugh. There's this Vyvanse thing and she's unwilling to order some of the lab work I know I need as a post-op. However, she's totally fine prescribing psych drugs to my partner. Granted, his aren't schedule 2. It's very aggravating. I feel like I have a strong history of being a good patient so I don't know where her reluctance is coming from :/

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Gwen M.
on 3/20/17 10:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And, yes, another goal I have during spring break is to find a new PCP. But then I lose all that positive history and that'll suck. A lot.

Kristi T.
on 3/20/17 10:12 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I don't think it has anything to do with you at all. I have a feeling her reluctance is coming from the new pressures she feels from the DEA and insurance companies. Unfortunately I think most physicians, PAs and Nurse Practitioners are feeling this. I have a feeling the Psychiatrist will be able to help you, I am sending you positive vibes. It sounds like you are doing everything right!

JoeyJo
on 3/21/17 9:49 am - NJ

I have a similar situation with my long-time psychiatrist. She had prescribed Vyvanse but switched to Wellbutrin. I asked about going back to Vyvanse because Vyvanse works better for the binge eating disorder. She told me she would not change medications so I could "lose weight". I told her it is not to lose weight, it is to control the insane urges to eat. She was not having it. I track religiously even when I binge so I thought if I showed her the problem, she might reconsider. Her advice was for me to binge on better foods like green beans. smh

It took me forever to find her, and we have a long history. From having my son treated, I know how difficult it is to find a good psychiatrist and I'm afraid she is the best one available.

Most Active
Recent Topics