Sleeved 1/9 with hiatal hernia repair

Kfattofab
on 1/27/17 1:38 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

I was sleeved 1/9 and had a hernia repair. I HATE eating now. 1 bite doesn't sit well with me and I go running to the bathroom after each "meal". This has been happening since full liquids. It's really starting to mess with me. Even drinking liquids right now is hard. I do good getting 20 oz a day in this week. My hubs was sleeved 12/21 and hasn't had any issues other than occasionally eating too fast but he didn't have the hernia repair. I still feel a lot of tightness and sore in the two incisions in my upper chest. When does the turn of I can do this come?

Gwen M.
on 1/27/17 2:54 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you contacted your surgeon?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

suzzzzz
on 1/27/17 2:55 pm
VSG on 06/23/16

What stage are you on?  If you are having trouble getting in all your liquids or keeping food down, stay on liquids a bit longer. The hiatal hernia repair shouldn't affect eating. At least that is what my doc told me and I didn't have any issues from it.  You may still have some swelling or taking too big of bites.

Beth C.
on 1/27/17 3:34 pm, edited 1/27/17 7:34 am
VSG on 01/19/17

I agree with suzzz and Gwen to call the Dr, I am on full liquids and get twinges of pressure but otherwise I'm ok I had Hiatal hernia repair with mesh 1/19. Hope you find relief soon 

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

hollykim
on 1/27/17 6:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 27, 2017 at 9:38 PM Pacific Time, Kfattofab wrote:

I was sleeved 1/9 and had a hernia repair. I HATE eating now. 1 bite doesn't sit well with me and I go running to the bathroom after each "meal". This has been happening since full liquids. It's really starting to mess with me. Even drinking liquids right now is hard. I do good getting 20 oz a day in this week. My hubs was sleeved 12/21 and hasn't had any issues other than occasionally eating too fast but he didn't have the hernia repair. I still feel a lot of tightness and sore in the two incisions in my upper chest. When does the turn of I can do this come?

hiatal hernia repaircshouldnt cause this. If you are also having trouble with liquids, you could have a structure. Call your surgeon on call number asap.

Anita
on 1/27/17 7:01 pm

Just to add my two cents......I agree with what everyone else has posted......I had a hiatal hernia repair too and other than continuing on Nexium for the first three months (as per doctor's order), I didn't have any problems (even on the days I forgot to take it. I've been off Nexium for several months and haven't had any problems.'

Please call your doctor - if for no other reason, to give yourself some peace of mind that nothing is wrong. It's possible that you just need to be on liquids a little longer.

I hope you feel better soon

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

happyteacher
on 1/28/17 6:09 am

I had a hernia repaired with my sleeve as well. The recovery for you will take a little longer as a result, but you will recover so hang in there. There is a saying "liquid in liquid out". What you are experiencing will likely resolve once you are able to get some real food in appropriate to the phases. Hang in there. That tightness in the chest will likely be with you for a good 6 weeks. When I was first sleeved if I went out in to the cold (Michigan winter) it tightened up so much I couldn't walk around the block outside. I just stayed in until it had time to heal. Hang in there and really work on getting your fluids in. Hang in there- the yucky part of the recovery will be over soon.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics