Hiccups on day 2 post surgery

PS0705
on 8/9/16 11:07 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Hey there,

I had VSG surgery on 8/4/16 and today had the hiccups.  Almost started up the narco medicine again for it.

Other than that, today was much better as far as energy level and being able to sip liquids with minimal discomfort.

Also - any tips on how to mix up protein powder? I used my Nutribullet and there were waaaaaaaay too many tiny bubbles which caused gas pain and then the hiccups.  How do you mix it? I get chunks when I use a spoon or fork.

TIA,

Paula

Naomi S.
on 8/6/16 7:13 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

Hi Paula,

Congrats on your surgery! Every day will be a little bit better than the previous day. I'm two months post-op and feel great!

You didn't specify which protein powder you're using, but I've found with Syntrax Nectar, if I mix the powder with water and then refrigerate it for a while, the lumps dissolve. As soon as I finish a protein drink, I mix up the next one. 

If you have to use the blender, try letting your drink sit for a while so the air bubbles can rise up.  I've also used a straw so I'm drinking the not-frothy part at the bottom. I think some surgeons discourage their patients from drinking through a straw, so you'd want to ask about this first. Also, I believe a hand-held immersion blender doesn't aerate like a Nutribullet does, might be worth trying. 

Good luck!

Naomi

luvmypuggies
on 8/6/16 7:37 pm

Hiccups are very common.  For me, it's my full signal, so I had them very often at first because you fill up super-fast. You may have to just endure them for a while since you just had surgery, but know that it will improve. Maybe try sipping a little slower, assuming you still able to get in enough water during the day.

Regarding protein, I use the Premier Protein ready-to-drink shakes (great deal at Costco right now) and don't mess with the mixing and clumps.  I like the taste and it's readily available in my area at both Costco and Safeway.  I believe you can order them online at Costco also. Good luck!

PS0705
on 8/8/16 5:23 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks so much for the replies.  I put the Nutribullet away for now and just used my shaker cup - I feel silly for not thinking of this myself.

I also bought the Premier ready made drinks.

Love this forum and everyone's support!!!

(raising my tiny 2 oz cup) CHEERS!

Bufflehead
on 8/9/16 12:32 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Another option if you have one is an immersion (stick) blender. They don't make your shake all foamy and bubbly the way a standard blender or bullet does. Good luck!

PS0705
on 8/9/16 2:18 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Thank you!! I'm really not a fan of the clumps I've been getting now without the Nutribullet.

Appreciate your reply :)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/9/16 12:27 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Like others said, shaker cup. What I do though is shake it up real good, let it sit for as long as it needs to defoam. Maybe 15 minutes? Sometimes more sometimes less. Then, I swirl things around to get anything that settled back into the party of the shake. :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

PS0705
on 8/9/16 2:19 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

Thanks and LOVE your snail on your weight loss ticker. LOL

SilverGirl2015
on 8/10/16 6:52 am

Get used to the hiccups!  

Most Active