one month post op and struggling with anxiety and depression

Anne O.
on 8/6/16 8:51 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I teach high school French. Oh, I know. I'm going to "fake it until I make it" while at work. 

It's going to be difficult. I'll just have to take care of myself and find ways to de-stress when I'm not at work. 

-Anne

Anne O.
on 8/6/16 9:43 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I have been talking with a surgeon in Tampa (I live in Jacksonville) that is willing to help me with my acid reflux. It's a long story, but the bariatric surgeon that put my band in bluntly told me that because I had a band to sleeve revision in one surgery that the sleeve would not be shaped correctly and I would have GERD forever unless I converted to bypass. He wasn't helpful at all - didn't do a contrast study and told me to come back in three months. 

I discovered a doctor in Houston who said that he could fix the shape of my sleeve without converting to bypass - in fact, he said it was a simple operation. He referred me to this surgeon in Tampa and he was happy to help me and even was going to set me up with an appt for a consult and an endoscopy. I was thrilled - until his assistant told me the dates - Aug. 15 and 16th - The first and second days of school!! 

I had to tell her sorry, I just can't - that would be like asking a tax preparer to take off April 15th. I just can't do it -any other day - literally. any. other. day. 

So she is going to go back to the admin and try to reschedule me.  I hope they don't give up on me! 

Wish me luck!

-Anne 

happyteacher
on 8/7/16 6:34 am

I hope it works out for you- this is the first time I raad that a surgeon knowingly put the incorrect shaped sleeve in. *******

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anne O.
on 8/7/16 7:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I think it happens more often than we realize, especially in Mexico. They revise from band to sleeve in one surgery, can't staple through the scar tissue left by the band, and go wide and get some of the fundus. 

This Houston doctor explained it well on his blog - this retained fundus at the top holds acid at the top of the stomach near the LES and can contribute to reflux - even to delayed gastric emptying, which contributes to reflux too. 

https://houstonsleevesurgeon.com/interesting-case-severe-aci d-reflux-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

The surgeons just do what my surgeon did - tell their patients to take more and more PPIs and wait and that symptoms should improve over time - and if yours don't - well then, you are just unlucky.

Best case in that scenario - you have to take one prilosec a day for the rest of your life

worst case - you have to revise to bypass later.

Valerie G.
on 8/2/16 4:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Anxiety and depression can come on with any surgery, not just wls.  Consider post partum depression with new moms - same thing.  Keep working with your doc to find the perfect solution to get you through this.  There are many different treatment options.  You'll find the right one, and hopefully you'll not be on it for long once your life settles down

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hsmcc1
on 8/2/16 7:27 am - mckinney, TX

The best stress & anxiety relief I know of is exercise. If you're new to exercise.....Try taking a walk. Sounds silly, but the natural endorphins produced does the trick! It also introduces you're body to movement which is necessary in weight-loss. You cannot lose if you do not move! Best wishes on your journey!

Move to lose....
271-High/219-Surgery/156-Now

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/2/16 8:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Exercise is great, and helpful for pretty much anybody. But "natural endorphins" can't fix a chemical imbalance, if that's what's actually going on.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 8/4/16 4:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anne O.
on 8/4/16 6:42 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Yes. I am seeing a psychologist. She's been very helpful. 

snow_white
on 8/6/16 9:19 am
RNY on 11/11/14 with

I remember feeling the exact same way.  My Dr told me when you loose fat rapidly it jerks around with your hormones really badly.  He warned me ahead of time but I still was in shock at anxious feelings and overwhelming dread for no real reason.  It did lighten after a couple of weeks and I just kept telling myself it's OK it's not real.  We are all here for you! I do take prozac now.  Just 20mg but it helps.  Good luck and just know you'll get thru it

Rny 11/11/14 HW 285 CW 130 GW 130

155 pounds gone forever

Most Active
Recent Topics