4 weeks out and NO weightloss/NO restriction :(

acbbrown
on 7/29/16 9:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA

If you're eating 3/4 of a regular meal...you better get it to see your surgeon like yesterday. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

stephanie62
on 7/30/16 7:54 am
VSG on 08/01/15

That is the problem.  I do not have insurance that covers anything to do with bariatrics so I had to go to mexico for the surgery. 

Anne O.
on 7/30/16 8:00 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Who did your surgery?

Starry Eyed
on 7/30/16 8:33 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I might have this completely wrong, but here's my take on everything given the information provided:

I'm seeing a lot of "helplessness" in your responses to people who are trying to help.  

Issue #1: When one person suggested that you get on the phone with your doctor because the lack of restriction is cause for concern, your answer is that you had the procedure done in Mexico.  

Solution:  Find a bariatric doctor and nutritionist  in your area to whom you can turn for issues that may arise or questions that need a doctor's expertise.  Sure, you may have to pay out of pocket, but you were okay doing this when you had the procedure done in Mexico, so follow-up care should be expected and planned for.

Issue #2: Another poster asked for examples of what you are eating in an effort to pinpoint the problem and help find a solution.  Your response was another "excuse" that you are a vegetarian.  

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, I really do.  However, in deciding to make this lifelong commitment to change, I'm sure you came across dietary requirements and were fully aware that protein was a big deal after WLS.  There are plenty of vegetarians out there who have been successful with WLS, so it's a matter of doing the work, researching, and asking the right questions.

Solution: Do google searches, search the OH forum, reach out to others who have been in your place, meet with a nutritionist and learn what your options are.

Issue #3: The fact that you don't know whether your doctor just removed your lap band or if they removed the lap band and did the VSG is a BIG problem.  Stop being passive and start taking some responsibility for your body and your health.

Solution:  Call your doctor immediately and get informed.

I'm sure I will get a lot of pushback for this response, but I felt you need some tough love here.  Please know that I do care about you and your health, which is why I couldn't just scroll through this post without speaking up.

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/30/16 8:50 pm, edited 7/30/16 1:56 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

No push back, your dead on.  I was about to write something similar.  There was no way I'd have been 1 month out and even attempting 3/4 of what I used to have eaten.  Back then I was 2-3oz max on things.

OP: A good rule of thumb here is just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Stop even attempting to eat that much.  Find a solid protein like the Veggie patties, fake chicken nuggets, fake hotdogs, beans, and if you do eggs then make those things.  Measure out 3-4oz of one of those items and eat only that.  

Call your Mexico doc and post on here who it was. There may be reviews or another person who went to them.  You need to know exactly what happened.  Do you incisions look like you expected, did you have trouble drinking the first few day possibly due to your freshly cut stomach being swollen, think about your surgery and compare your expected experience with what you had.

Anyway a doc here will see you, you will pay for it, but they can run a scope down there and see exactly what was done if need be.  But get answers now.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

stephanie62
on 7/30/16 9:33 pm
VSG on 08/01/15

I get my 100 grams of protein a day.  My protein intake is not an issue at all.  I eat the fake veggie stuff- one serving first at every meal like they told me to.  Then 1/2 cup veggies.  then complex carbs.  but it doesn't have any problem going down and i am still very hungry but i stop.  Then an hour later i have to eat something again.  My Mexico doctor told me that he did the VSG.  What good would calling there do?  They told me to find a primary care doctor in my area and see them.  I did and they said I have to see GI and they would refer me and I am waiting on that which i guess i will be for a few months before they can get me in.  I was just wondering why everyone else has trouble eating and I do not.  I never had trouble drinking fluids at the hospital.  I was drinking water, whole bottles of gatorade, etc.  Never a problem.  still not a problem. 

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/31/16 5:17 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Sounds fishy to me.  If they did cut you after removing then band then maybe it was nowhere as much as I was cut down to for instance.  If your going to go to a GI doc that very well not be covered by insurance either, why not hit up a Baratric doc?

I did do some research on having WLS out of country s on my insurance.  Mine covers 5k but the rest is on you, as I was also a band to VSG patient I wanted to check my options. What it boiled down to money wise is I might not pay as much up front by my insure BCBS was not going to cover complications from my elective sugery later.  So for me it was have them cover it first and last.

VSG vs the Band feels night and day to me.  No "restriction".  I feel full far earlier, such as... If I used to eat a subway sandwich 6", chips and a coke.  I now can have the meats and cheeses, a little bit of tomato and some mayo.  No chips and nothing to drink.  Everything is eaten normally.  No getting stuck, no tight feeling in my chest.  VSG for me has been like returning back to a natural stomach.  

Yesterday we smoked meats all day.  I did do some grazing as things came off.  A few oz here or there.  That didn't fill me up and I could have done that all day.  When we sat down for dinner I had some delicious pulled pork and in the past I'm sure I coulda at 12-16oz of that.  But last night I was a piggy and had 6oz and no sides over about 20mins while talk to my friends.  I do not have more than 4-5oz of meat (no sides) standard, however I had that extra piece I shouldn't of and felt overly full.  

If your experience is different I really think your going to need to find out what the Mexico doc actually preformed.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Laura in Texas
on 7/31/16 6:38 am
On July 31, 2016 at 4:33 AM Pacific Time, stephanie62 wrote:

I get my 100 grams of protein a day.  My protein intake is not an issue at all.  I eat the fake veggie stuff- one serving first at every meal like they told me to.  Then 1/2 cup veggies.  then complex carbs.  but it doesn't have any problem going down and i am still very hungry but i stop.  Then an hour later i have to eat something again.  My Mexico doctor told me that he did the VSG.  What good would calling there do?  They told me to find a primary care doctor in my area and see them.  I did and they said I have to see GI and they would refer me and I am waiting on that which i guess i will be for a few months before they can get me in.  I was just wondering why everyone else has trouble eating and I do not.  I never had trouble drinking fluids at the hospital.  I was drinking water, whole bottles of gatorade, etc.  Never a problem.  still not a problem. 

Most people 4 weeks out do not post about problems eating too much because they follow their doctor's plan. They measure their portions carefully. They know this is life-altering surgery and have made the commitment to themselves to follow their plan. They would not push themselves to eat 3/4 of a regular meal. Hunger is not an emergency. Maybe you need to seek therapy to deal with your food demons so that this surgery helps you reach your goals. Surgery is not magic.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

suecampbell
on 8/2/16 10:05 am
VSG on 07/01/16

I too had my surgery in Mexico, but with a different surgeon, Dr. Jaimie Ponce de Leon, at INT in Tijuana (love that guy and his whole team!)  Dr. Ponce de Leon is kind of a rock star of bariatric surgery...dude is GOOD.  My facilitator (I went through a weight loss tourism company) told me that Dr. Ponce de Leon said that some of his colleagues were actually rather lousy at VSG...he said that when it came to cutting off the top portion of the stomach (close to the esophagus) that they just weren't sure enough of their skills and don't cut enough off...so the patient is left with a funnel like shape (wide at the top) instead of a sleeve.  I can't possibly say if your surgeon falls into that category, but I strongly encourage you to contact a surgeon in your area...yes, you will have to pay, and that totally sucks, and have a full scan done of your gastric tract...you may need a revision.  NO FREAKIN' WAY should you want to eat as much as you are eating.  I'm just over four weeks out, and I can barely eat 2 oz of dense protein, 3x daily.  

In the meantime...

I'm sorry to write this, but if you want to lose weight with what you are experiencing, you are going to have to go hungry.  I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I suggest going back to 3 protein drinks a day, and lots of water.  Leave off the actual food, since you are not getting the volume restriction that you should.  Basically what you did pre-op (at least it's what I had to do pre-op.) 

I am so truly sorry that you are not having a better experience.  I wish you all the best of luck as you search for answers.

Kudzu
on 8/2/16 11:01 am
VSG on 07/28/16

Are we being punked? 

Most Active
Recent Topics