New member-- HELP!! Having a hard time not having my diet cokes

frisco
on 7/25/16 4:10 am

Technically carbonation "can" produce internal pressure within the sleeve.

Technically internal pressure is how you stretch your sleeve.

Technically when the pyloric valve is closed and blocked by food, carbonation "can" produce internal pressure.

Technically when the pyloric valve is open, carbonation may not cause internal pressure.

Lots of surgeons just blanket a no carbonation rule because it takes patient education and experience or they just don't know, also there is nothing generally good in soda and most carbonated drinks.

The best thing to do is to get off carbonation or re-introduce them after WL and firmly into maintenance. By that time you will also have a good understanding on the timing.

** I went through the same thing..... my drink was Diet Pepsi Lemon and Diet Pepper

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

LeapSecond
on 7/25/16 5:18 am - AR

I was a Diet coke addict.  15 a day for years.  I feel your pain.  I gave them up 10 years before WLS.  It was hard. I just couldn't afford it.  With WLS Diet coke does increase acid in your stomach.  Sparkling waters just have carbonation not phosphoric acid so they would be safer.  I would be scared to do it at 2 weeks out.  You are still healing and carbonation does expand at body temperature.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Joshua H.
on 7/26/16 12:55 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

I quit soda 2 years ago (I drank 2L+ every day).  Having quit that AND smoking...I can't honestly remember which was harder.  Definitely wouldn't wanna try and go cold turkey right before surgery.

lauratabbs
on 7/25/16 12:20 pm
VSG on 07/13/16

Thank you all very much! Today has been a little easier.

Valerie G.
on 7/26/16 9:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Have a few sips and experience the discomfort, and probably that will be your deterrent.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

happyteacher
on 7/29/16 6:17 am

Hang in there. I was terribly addicted to diet coke during the college years. I had to give them up when I was pregnant, and it really took the health of the baby to keep me out of it. I went back to them after pregnancy number 1, but at about half the amount. Kicked the habit for good after the second pregnancy. You do completely lose the cravings, but it takes a while. You can do it!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics