HELP!! I have 24 hours to make a decision!!! DESPERATE!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 12:59 pm

So the surgeon just called me and said in reviewing my chart that if I had ANY acid reflux before the surgery, he would suggest doing a RNY. I am terrified of the RNY and the side effects. My acid reflux isn't that bad, mostly because I ate like a pig (greasy, spicy, etc.), at all hours, and I didn't have an issue until I gained all the weight. Did anyone have acid reflux before the VSG and it went away on its own? Or does taking a daily PPI forever work? I don't know if I would rather take a PPI daily forever and have the VSG or deal with the malabsorption from RNY. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Those that have acid reflux after surgery, would you still have done the VSG vs the RNY?

happyteacher
on 7/11/16 1:41 pm

I had HORRIBLE gerd prior to surgery. My surgeon also wanted to do Rny, but was Ok with the sleeve. He found and fixed a hiatel hernia during the vsg. I woke up with zero reflux for the first time in years, and it stayed that way for a long time. Fast forward 4 years and acid issues returned. Turns out the hiatel hernia returned, and much worse combined with my gallbladder going out. I am still glad I went sleeve. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 2:25 pm

Thank you! I think that's what I was hoping to here; that you're gerd wasn't so bad after that you regretted doing the sleeve. I don't mind taking a pill every day to call the gerd. To me it is still a better option than doing the RNY and dealing with it's complications.

happyteacher
on 7/11/16 8:39 pm

The only thing I should probably add is my doc said if my stomach develops another large hernia and symptoms absolutely require intervention then he has to revise me to rny to help the acid issue. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 7/11/16 2:35 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I had big acid issues. Still would have done it 100x over rather than get a RNY

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Laura in Texas
on 7/11/16 4:02 pm

Why do you only have 24 hours? Do not make a decision if you are not ready. What did your surgeon say about fixing your hiatal hernia? Are you just ignoring all the advice given to you on your last thread?

I think you need to do more resear*****luding talking to other surgeons.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 5:27 pm, edited 7/11/16 10:28 am

Because my surgery is next week and if I change to the RNY they have to get a whole new approval from the insurance which takes a while. The Dr said if I could get back to them within the 24 hours I wouldn't have to reschedule my surgery, regardless of what I chose. Regarding the hiatal hernia, the surgeon said fixing it causes more problems down the line because often times it comes back. Not ignoring the advice, I just want all the advice from the veterans that I can get to make an educated decision. I have spoken to other surgeons about the hiatal hernia and it's mixed reviews. Some say the repair is standard and some say it's only necessary to fix if it is causing major issues.

diane S.
on 7/11/16 4:26 pm

I had quite a bit of reflux due to hiatal hernia. Took prilosec and had to take a tums every time I stooped over.  Surgeon said he would fix the hernia during the vsg and did so.  I used the prilosec for a few months after surgery as many surgeons prescribe but have been done with it for six years. 

I don't know why surgeons disagree on this issue. My surgeon never pushed the rny as he loves the sleeve and I am grateful for it every day. gl Diane s.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Anita
on 7/11/16 9:24 pm

I've been "living" on Nexium for over a year due to issues with my hiatal hernia.......it was fixed at the same time as my sleeve was done.....still on Nexium for the next few months but on the days that I haven't remembered to take it, I've had no issues. The only time I had a problem (even with Nexium) was when I drank too much Diet Snapple in one day....other than that....no problems.......

Since I'm not a doctor, I cannot give you medical advice, but my feeling is to go with your gut instinct (sorry - pardon the pun)......if you really don't want to go with rny, you have to tell your doctor that it's not acceptable......just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

stacyrg
on 7/11/16 10:17 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

My advice is to think long and hard about your decision. I did not have reflux prior to being sleeved, but developed severe GERD post op. After suffering for a year and having test results showing acid 409% higher than normal, I converted to bypass on 7/1. There are many whose reflux is apparently cured by VSG, but there are many who only get worse. VSG is a high pressure closed system (caused by an intact pyloric valve) and the acid has nowhere to go but up. I, for one, did not want to be on PPIs for a lifetime (not that they offered any relief), particularly with the newer research showing anecdotal links between PPIs and dementia (I have a family history) and a link between PPI and kidney damage and bone loss.

I loved my sleeve and resisted conversion for a long time. But, for me, had I had a history of reflux prior to surgery, I never would have gone with the sleeve. Good luck with whatever decision you make

Most Active
Recent Topics