Newbie with questions

DClady
on 3/17/13 10:54 am
Hello everyone. I've been on this site for a while reading posts and replies that greatly helped me. What made me sign up is the concerns I have and want your help with. I was sleeved on march 7th and the first couple of days I was eating very little. Now It's been three days and nothing entered my stomach besides water and my vitamins. I jut don't feel hungry, i feel very full and the sight of my soup or jello makes me feel sick. I don't know what to do. Should I force myself to eat? And will I ever feel hungry? Thank you
Father Don
on 3/17/13 12:05 pm - Charleston, SC

Your pouch id probably still swollen for one.  It IS Small too - put you thumbs end to end - that the approx size of the pouch....now add internal swelling...and you have why a little water fills you up.

To help with sickness feeling: Vary temps of water soup - too hot or cold can cause our pouches havoc.

As for the hunger - Some of us do get it back, other do not...some after 2-3-4 years out......  I recommend eating by the clock - not over eating or forcing....but eat based on the clock - a ounce or two - whatever you can tolerate - based on the time on the clock.  At 4.5 years, i sometimes "forget" to eat lunch because I do not feel hunger - my wife calls me by 1:30 to make sure I have eaten.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

LilSleeved
on 3/17/13 7:17 pm

Father Don, we as Sleevers DO NOT have pouches.

I think it's very important to not confuse WLS's.  LapBand and RNY have pouches, we have smaller stomaches.

It is especially important with Newbies.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Keith L.
on 3/17/13 12:45 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yes, you should do your best to eat on a schedule. The not being hungry part is the bonus of the surgery. I don't know what your doctor's plan is but right now you should just be doing clear liquids and whatever your doctor says that means.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SuzyNZ
on 3/17/13 3:57 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Yip, as the guys have said, you need to eat. After a few days without any food, you will start gettin woozy when you stand up etc if you aren't getting some calories in, even if its just calories from fluids like soups etc.

Eating is definitely weird for the first 6 weeks or so, but ya gotta do it. I found it very ironic that having gone from being an over eater, that I was now having to force myself to eat. Even at 6 months out, I still have "food weekends" where my goal is to have a few more calories in as I have some days as low as 300-400 and start having a few woozies myself even this far out.

You are probably still on clear fluids, so why not try some broths. I lived on those and popsicles for the first 3 weeks.

It's going to be a bit of a chore eating for the next couple of months, but you will get used to it

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

EmpressLynneBN
on 3/18/13 5:27 am - AZ
VSG on 12/20/12

I still consider myself to be a newbie... I struggle with separating head hunger from real hunger, but at almost 3 months out I am starting to recognize the other signs of hunger, like dizziness, crankypants attitude and difficulty concentrating.  That being said, I eat on a schedule.  I cannot let hunger dictate right now when i eat, because I would never eat.  My suggestion is look at your daily schedule and plan to eat 3 meals and one snack ( based on your programs diet plan) everyday even if it's just to help your body get use to the routine.  routine will become important, if you are trying to manage this new lifestyle and returning to your regular daily activities.  Good luck!

I hope you are able to incorporate some other foods soon too, because chicken broth and sugar free jello will never cross these lips again!!  LOL

Most Active
Recent Topics