im done..i cant deal with these..

anabeth413
on 2/4/10 12:43 am - brielle , NJ

protein drinks/shakes anymore..i have tried and tried and its just not working. at this point no matter what brand i try they all taste horrible..beyond horrible to me. i cant even get past one sip!!! im done wasting money on this crap. i went in for my 1 month app w/my surgeon yesterday and he gave me the go ahead to introduce solid food into my diet now slowly and im hoping that i can eat my protein. how feasible is this to do?? really..please tell me there is someone else out there that just can not do these drinks and has had success by eating their protein this early on??? im at my wits end. i have tried so far...oh yeah shakes, isopure, nectar which was ok for a while and now i just cant drink it, ive tried myoplex, ive tried mass protein, click all five flavors..the orange made me yak, unjury, i even went to the herbal shop by me and got some unknown name brand of protein..no dice. then i found oh yeah protein wafers..thought i would do that..nope and south beach protein bars..no good. wtf im going into the poor house here buying all this crap! 

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/4/10 12:50 am - Baltimore, MD
At this point it is probably NOT feasible that you would get all your protein from food.

Are you just drinking it straight with milk? If so, blech! I can feel your pain. Have you tried mixing it up any? I have some good recipes in my recipe list (link in my signature line). Also try going onto Eggface's blog (www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com).

Also, there is no rule that says you have to stick to shakes. Put protein powder in yogurt, cottage cheese. Put it in your coffee to make protein coffee (instructions on mixing protein into hot drinks is in the protein shake recipe list). You may have to try a few different things before you find something that works for you.

For me it was simply adding a tbsp of decaf instant coffee to my chocolate protein shake. It tasted WORLD'S better. That's where all the protein shake experiments began.

But you do probably need to supplement until you can get more food in. Think of it like medicine if you have to. If you had cancer you wouldn't stop chemo just because it made you feel sucky. Same deal. You need it to live, so find a way to live with it. You can do it!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

talkingreddog
on 2/4/10 12:54 am
When I was only a few short weeks out I was miserable trying to drink protein also.  I thought of all kinds of ways to not do it and swore I never would.  Then one day it just tasted better.  Your body is still in shock and things will begin to taste better and go down easier.  Just do what you can to get in as much as protein as possible until the taste buds start to recover.  Good Luck!
Frances S.
on 2/4/10 12:55 am - Crystal Falls, MI
I agree with Nik.  Start experimenting.

Some of the things I've tried:
mix 1/2 scoop protein powder with plain greek yogurt and 2 tbsp pb2 (comes out to over 20 grams of protein)
mix 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder with half of a banana (if you can) chopped up, greek yogurt, chopped walnuts and cinnamon
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder with 1 packet of high-protein oatmeal (mine is by Active Lifestyle and I buy it ag Kroger)

For me, with food, including bars, if I don't do any protein powder I can get around 50-60 grams of protein, but I'm 8 weeks out.

5100kiki
on 2/4/10 1:01 am
You can do it - you just have to plan ahead to ensure you are getting in your protein.  Protein shakes are the easiest way to get in enough protein early out and later in a pinch.  Have you tried Carnation instant breakfast? I couldn't handle sugar early out - but - some people can. Another way to get in more protein is to add powdered milk into your milk or into your sugarfree pudding etc.  You can eat Greek Yogurt which is 20g protein for 1 cup.  I mix mine with sugarfree preserves, fruit, or a little sugarfree pudding mix or sugarfree jello mix for flavor. Beans, tofu, meat and eggs (when you are able to eat them) are good sources of protein.

Some people make things like egg custard using eggs, milk and splenda.

It took me 4 months to find a protein mix that I like and it's the JayRobb sugarfree Whey. I mix it in a blender with ice to make it frothy.  It has a mild and subtle taste.  And EAS is okay but I can taste it more.

Maybe all you need to do is to experiment with making your own protein shakes using something like Carnation instant breakfast, powered milk, nonfat milk and maybe (or not) using a little scoop of protein powder.  Either way if you find some sort of combination protein shake early out - this will really help with your protein intake.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/4/10 1:05 am - Baltimore, MD
Is Carnation Instant Breakfast a good, solid protein source though? Last time I looked the carbs way outweighed the protein, even with the addition of milk.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

lynnc99
on 2/4/10 1:20 am
Carnation isn't the greatest, but I have used SF instant breakfast in combination with protein powder and skim milk for an extra boost and to soften the chalky flavor of some protein powders.

OTOH, I"ve seen some people on line whose docs recommended Carnation as a primary source of protein post op. Go figure! 
poet_kelly
on 2/4/10 1:49 am - OH
If you use the no sugar added, it's not too bad but it's not great.  One packet NSA carnation and one cup skim milk has something like 20 grams of sugar and only 13 grams of protein.

Kelly
5100kiki
on 2/4/10 1:57 am
Protein is 6g.  Carbs 25g. Plus it has vitamins.  If you mix it with 1 cup of non-fat milk which is 9g. protein then you are getting 15g protein for around 210 calories.  If you add in 4 tablespoons of powered milk which is 9g protein - then for 300 calories you can consume 24g protein. If you are early out and can't stand protein shakes then this is a way to make your own and it will have vitamins and protein and you can add water and milk so that you can split it into 2 meals/snacks during the day.  Or you can make 2 batches and drink 4 times a day for a total of 48g protein - just to keep that protein up while you are unable to eat much.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 package

Amount per Serving

Calories 130 Calories from Fat 9

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1g 2%
    Saturated Fat  0g 0%
    Trans Fat  0g
Sodium 135mg 6%
Potassium 240mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 25g 8%
    Dietary Fiber  0g 0%
    Sugars  18g
Protein 6g 12%

Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 45%
Calcium 25%
Iron 25%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin E 25%
Vitamin K 25%
Thiamin (B1) 20%
Riboflavin (B2) 8%
Niacin (B3) 25%
Vitamin B6 20%
Folic Acid (Folate) 20%
Vitamin B12 10%
Magnesium 20%
Panthothenic Acid 20%
Zinc 20%
Copper 25%
Manganese 25%

maris_38
on 2/4/10 1:21 am - Orlando, FL
It might not be the protein shakes themselves.  I had oral thrush after surgery that made everything taste like arse (it's pretty common after surgery). 

Stick your tongue out at yourself in the mirror.  If it's coated with white, talk to your doc about some anti-fungal meds.  After mine cleared up everything was MUCH better.

If you're making your shakes solely with milk, you might also want to try making them with water - I also developed a weird 'milk only' lactose intolerance after surgery.  Try water or soy.

One final recommendation for you - Chocolite makes protein powder that really, truly has no proteiny taste.  I buy mine at Netrition.  Made with milk, it's too thick for my taste, but with water it really tastes like drinking chocolate milk.

As Nik said - keep trying.  This is really like medicine, and even though I could (now) get all my protein without shakes, it is soooooo much easier to do with them.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics