What do you do to stay regular??

Ellen H.
on 1/17/09 2:55 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Yep when I say regular I mean it that way.  I have had major issues with being able to "go" since surgery.  The only way I am able to go with any regularity is by taking laxatives but I don't know that I should be taking one each day.  I have decided to up the fiber in my diet but I don't know what kind of amts to shoot for.  What do you all do in order to avoid the day after day of not "going"? 
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/09 3:23 am, edited 1/17/09 3:24 am - San Antonio, TX
I add a serving a benefiber to at least one drink per day, usually two. I also take a stool softener (4 colace) throughout the day - one each time I take some vitamins. That, and getting at least 20g of fiber from food each day, usually does the trick, but sometimes a hot cup of coffee or tea is needed to get things going. If I don't drink enough, or if I eat especially low fat for a few days I will still be clogged inevitably. Also some kinds of iron bother me more than others. I did well with polysaccharide iron (which many hate for the constipation) but vitron C clogs me up and gives me gas. I am going to try tender iron from vitalady next.  Calcium can also be constipating, so make sure your calcium has magnesium added to it as well or consider adding a magnesium pill to your day. (Citracal plus is a good calcium with magnesium and vitamin D in it - I take 4 per day).

Edit - also, between your food and fiber supplements aim for 25-30g fiber per day for regularity, and if you must take a laxative, miralax is safe and no addictive and gentle. I have a bottle but I only use it if things get really bad, which they rarely do anymore.

Ellen H.
on 1/17/09 6:46 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Wow so until I get used to it maintaining regularity is a full time job.  I think I am going to ask if it is okay if I take miralax everyday because the laxative I have been taking everyday is working okay.  I found that if I don't have regular bowel movements I don't lose a bit of weight.  So the lord only knows just how clogged I am getting.  lol

I think I will start tracking my fiber intake along with my protein and calories and then add the fiber drink as well.  I have some stuff I can't remember the name but it doesn't taste like orange anything. 

Thanks for the tips!
Clirishu
on 1/17/09 3:38 am - LA
 I fix my meds for the week and I put in a few Senekot with stool softener throughout the week.  I still struggle sometimes but for the most part, this keeps me regular.
Ellen H.
on 1/17/09 6:47 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Now I don't know anything about senekot so I am gonna look into that as well.  By taking that you don't have to shoot for a really high amt of fiber a day then right?

Ellen - momma to Patrick (8) and baby girl Amber born June 14th!!

Clirishu
on 1/17/09 7:14 am - LA
 It was recommended post-op by my surgeon and it is all natural so I don't feel bad about taking it.  I have to admit that I am miserable when it comes to tracking grams of this or that.  I just eat what stays down and stay away from carbs.
kathy S.
on 1/17/09 9:38 pm - Pensacola, FL
Fiber one cereal every morning has fixed that issue for  me unless I'm not getting in my 80 oz of liquids.  Try upping your fluid intake too.
kathsum
DawnD
on 1/18/09 8:33 pm - Milwaukee, WI
Honestly, this is one of the worst side effects of surgery for me.  I was NEVER constipated before surgery.  I take x4 docusate a day, Benefiber, I drink 100+ oz per day.  I take MOM as needed.  It has become a part time job.  I'm thinking my body liked all the raw veggies I did before surgery (I used to eat a salad for lunch almost every day).   Because I despise fat free and low fat salad dressing, I just don't find salads appealing anymore.

Hopefully you will find your personal solution soon. 

-Dawn

Start / Surgery / Current / Goal
406  /   374       /   196  / 180 

SASSYLISA
on 1/19/09 3:38 am - grass valley, CA
I had the same problem about my 4th week out. I take the benefiber chewables, 3times a day and that has seemed to help, i'm still in stage III which means no salads or raw veggies yet, so i'm hoping once that is over I won't have to do the chewables anymore.
Good Luck!!! oh and the chewables are suger free!!!
 334/157/160
"
Do you pop out at parties...are you unpoopular? The answers in this little ottle..I mean bottle" Lucille Ball" Vetavitavegim"  Gotta love Lucy!
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/09 5:52 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

My regular routine is a dose of Miralax plus three colace (ducosate sodium) gelcaps at bedtime.  That's also when I take my iron supplement, which has a tendency to bind things up, so this combination works well for me.  I also drink a reasonable amount of water (at least 64 oz. a day), plus I eat a couple servings of fruit and veggies.  Finally, I eat one of the Quaker oatmeal packet w/ higher fiber for breakfast most mornings.  Exercise also helps, as it helps keep things moving through your system.  In terms of fiber, most dieticians recommend 25-30 grams of fiber per day.  That can be hard to get when you are a newer post-op, but at 3+ years out, it's not a problem for me. 

Good luck finding a routine that works for you! 

Most Active